Still, I will discuss some of the most common punch and die treatments in the market.
These may include:
1. Diamond Coating
- The idea here is to introduce properties of diamond to a punch and die system. Such tools are suitable for effervescent tablets.
- Diamond coated tools are generally abrasive resistant and durable.
- They don’t stick and their hardness is nearly 6 times more than the ordinary tablet presses.
2. Galvanic Chrome Treatment
- This tablet press tooling is suitable for most standard tablet press applications.
- In most cases, the coating is about 5 microns.
- The coating is one of the most popular types of treatment in most pharmaceutical industries.
- Another technique that is almost similar to the galvanic chrome treatment is the physical vapor deposition (PVD).
- Well, this procedure protects the tooling system of a tablet compression machine from wear and ensures better stability.
3. Chrome Nitride Coating
- The final surface of the tablet press tooling is better than the galvanic treatment.
- It has a high quality to price ratio with enhanced wear protection.
4. Aluminum – Titanium Nitride or Titanium Nitride Coating
- This treatment is known for its smooth finish and higher surface hardness.
- Therefore, it is a perfect choice for most pharmaceutical tablet compression applications.
- Apart from these, tablet compression tooling may be heat treated to enhance their performance.
- Heat treatment is an essential process in the tablet press tool design.
- By adopting a suitable treatment, you’ll be guaranteed of excellent overall equipment efficiency (OEE).
- Again, even as you go through all these processes, following the stipulated standards in the industry is still very critical.
- This is why this subject may not be complete without an overview of the tablet press tooling standards.